sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My 1996 Pontiac Bonneville she want stay running, Changed

Customer Question

My 1996 Pontiac Bonneville she want stay running
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Pontiac. The Pontiac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Changed the crankshaft sensor
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No I have a mechanic
JA: OK! The Pontiac Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Pontiac Mechanic should be aware of about your Pontiac?
Customer: No I payed 300 dollars for the car and it wouldn't stay running then I changed the crankshaft sensor and it worked for a while then it started doing it all over
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Pontiac Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that will cause the engine to die. You may be losing spark due to a number of issues such as the cam sensor, coils, ignition module or wiring, you may be losing fuel pressure due to a failing pump. It's possible that the mass airfoil sensor, MAP sensor or upstream oxygen sensor could be causing the engine to run rich or lean enough to die also.

Te first step in diagnosing the problem is to see if any fault codes are setting.Do you know if any codes are setting?