Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

I had trouble last night putting my car into gear, and today

Customer Question

I had trouble last night putting my car into gear, and today it won't start and I can't remove the key from the ignition. I've had to press the shift lock release button by the shifter to get it in gear since last night, but now I can't even get the key out.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's about it. I just had all four struts and a wheel bearing replaced last week.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pontiac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The first thing to check here is to see if this is due to low voltage.Check the battery connections for any issues and check and make sure the battery tests o.k. as well (you can try a jump start or battery re charge).If this is checked and all found to be o.k. try pushing the shifter up into park and holding it there and see if it starts and runs then as well as key removed.If it does this can indicate the brake transmission solenoid at the shifter is an issue needing replaced.If none of these work here or found to be at fault let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete