GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

How do I by pass all of the security I have a key no chip I

Customer Question

How do I by pass all of the security I have a key no chip I can turn on the ignition the security light comes on car won't crack at all I jump starter car starts for a second and dies fuel pump is running guessing security the issue
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Christopher Trevino replied 11 months ago.

Hello there, Although I am NOT a Pontiac technician, I do have first hand experience with this type of symptom with various makes and models of cars . Typically what happens here is the idle relearn setting in the cars module gets lost when the battery is disconnected. First try this, Start the car and press the gas pedal to keep the idle just above 2500 rpm for 3 minutes straight. Then slowly release the pedal and see if the car stays idling by itself. It may surge a couple of times but if you let it idle for 5 or so additional minutes then restart, you should see al idle problems corrected. GM vehicles usually shut the fuel system down when the anti theft system is triggered so for security issues you typically will get a crank but no start condition.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok the key will not start the van I have to jump the starter solenoid to get it to crank and run it only runs for a second the dies. the key is not the original key and has no chip. I believe I need to bypass the security system how do I do that?

Ok got it, try these two steps and let me know how it goes, First, put the key in the drivers door and lock and unlock 5-15 times, then try to start the car, if it starts on its own (without jumping the starter) but dies, use the method listed above. If this does NOT work, 2) put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the ON position. leave it there for at least 5-10 minutes and see if the antitheft light goes away, then try starting the car, I've seen on GM vehicles this method sometimes takes up to 30 minutes with the key left in the ON position.Try these steps and let me know how it goes.