GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My 05 GTO has a whining noise at 45 to 55 MPH coming from

Customer Question

My 05 GTO has a whining noise at 45 to 55 MPH coming from the rear end . The car has 51000 miles on it. Would friction modifier or changing the fluid to royal purple help??
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Pontiac. The Pontiac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: just a whining noise coming from the rear end at 45 to 55 mph on acceleration. The car is a automatic L-S 2 it has 51000 miles on it.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: MY Mechanic is going to look at it Monday I have a extended warrant that covers it.
JA: Is there anything else the Pontiac Mechanic should be aware of about your Pontiac?
Customer: It has a hard shift at times going into 3rd gear and I have to put in 2 pints of fluid every 4 months or so and it does not leak it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Pontiac Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  john aka eaut replied 9 months ago.

you can try but generally a whine is a failing bearing..pinion bearings are the most common..Is it full of fluid? any leaks?