sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Replaced steering column with a good used one. I then

Customer Question

Replaced steering column with a good used one. I then bypassed VATS system everything worked before But car won't start now. I have no security lite and gauge cluster doesn't do any thing. I got head lites , turn signals ,door buzzer. I just can't figure out what I screwed up. Help me
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, at the ignition switch itself do you have power on the large red wire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have power from the red wire that go into the plug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I stuck tip of test lite between were they plug together and dash lites came on Turned key over and car started It died when I pulled test lite out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wtf
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome JustAnswer!

If you inserted a test light between terminals at the ignition switch and were able to start it then it sounds like you need an ignition switch.

You used the test light probe to jump terminals together at the switch connector? If so, which wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry sir bad emergency in the family and was gone for a few days I will be back home tonight And I will email you tomorrow

Not a problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The electrical plug which is blue it goes in to ignition switch closest to stirring wheel has three male prongs I stuck my electrical tester probe on two of the prongs while wires were attached The red and pink wires go into one of the prongs and a prong right below it looks like a dark pink single wire and the third prong looks like it white wire but I probed between (red and pink) prong and the one below it ( dark red). Car starts but quits wen I pull probe out

Did the ignition switch come on the replacement column?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got done swapping ignition switch off my original column. Everything seems to work just fine now Thanks for steering me in the right direction on the ignition switch I just got lucky when I accidently poked the test light in the wrong place. Thanks again

I believe either the problem was the switch or it may have been adjusted slightly too far one way or the other. I'm glad you got it fixed!