Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics
18617752

Roz, Is that Pontiac worth buying

Customer Question

Roz,
Is that Pontiac worth buying
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

Sorry for the delay... how many miles on it roughly?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
162,000 roughly there is also a transaxal light on what would that mean
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

Well, the 3.8L engine "is" a really strong engine. They are timing "chain" driven as opposed to "belt" driven, so they do tend to last a long time. And the Grand Prix is just such a nice looking, feeling and driving car. The book value of this vehicle in decent condition is around $2400. But keep in mind, you already have to put in around $600 right off the bat. And with a Transaxle light, this means there may be a problem internal of the transmission as well. That could get costly. So... is it worth buying? If the price is somewhere below $1800 (the 2400 its worth minus the 600 you "know" you have to put in) and the transmission problems aren't severe... and you have some money to invest to bring it back to par... it "may" be worth it. But, to be perfectly honest... it might be a better idea to find a vehicle that the price tage is a little higher, but the vehicle needs no work done and is ready to be a daily driver as is. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.