GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

What is the best way to solve a battery/alternator problem?

Customer Question

what is the best way to solve a battery/alternator problem? my car is not running properly i dont know if it is a battery or the alternator. i dont have scan tools or a load tester. how can i easily tell which one to replace?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Joe Prestia replied 9 months ago.

You will need to do some testing. Do you have a battery charger/tester? or a volt/ohm meter? or the hand tools to remove the alternator and have them tested at a local parts store?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a volt meter

Okay. Some measurements and get back to me. Measure the voltage between the positive and negative terminal of the battery, the big terminal on the alternator and the battery positive. Also measure between the big terminal on the alternator and the battery negative. Record those numbers and get back to me.

Also, so I can be sure we're not wasting each others times what exactly is it that your car is doing?