Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE since 1980
3506196

I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. I bought it new with 6 miles

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. I bought it new with 6 miles on it and have had routine oil changes. Every time the oil is changed, it has been difficult to rest the "change oil" light. This time it wouldn't reset at all. I removed the door on the fuse section and the diagram on the inside of the door indicates a red reset oil light button, but there is no button. The technician tried and I've tried several times to reset the light with no results. Any suggestions??
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Pontiac. The Pontiac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Per the owner's manual: turn ignition to on position and hit the gas peddle 3 times; turn the ignition off, then start the car. The light doesn't go out.
JA: Is there anything else the Pontiac Mechanic should be aware of about your Pontiac?
Customer: That's my concern right now. The car has 104,000 miles on it. It's my 3rd Grand Am, have been driving them since 1985.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 9 months ago.

Hello, not sure if you have tried this but it works for most GM vehicles. Turn the key on (engine off), fully depress the gas pedal 3 times within 5 seconds. Turn the key off, then turn the key back on and the light should go out.

Expert:  Roy Belding replied 9 months ago.

do you stll need help???

Roy