Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics
18617752

I recently purchased a 2004 pontiac montana suv with mileage

Customer Question

i recently purchased a 2004 pontiac montana suv with mileage of 210,000 my question is should i change timing belt/chain
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

This vehicle does not have a timing "belt" it has a timing "chain". There is no service interval at which the chain needs to be replaced as part of any normal service schedule. The chain was designed to last the life of the vehicle without the need for any service or maintenance. The timing chain is replaced on a "need-to" basis, which on these engines, is few and far between. If/When the chain does need to be replaced, you'll experience engine performance issues and noise in the area of the chain. With this many miles on the vehicle, probably best to leave it alone, as replacing the chain is a 9 hours job (as it wasn't intended to be replaced, no need to make it easy to access). If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

Hi! How are ya? I noticed this thread was still open and wanted to check in and see if you had any other questions on this topic. Was there anything else I could do for you on this?