Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grans Prix. The heater doesn't blow

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grans Prix.
The heater doesn't blow air. I replace the blower resister, still no luck. When I turn on my blower motor, the daytime running lights go out. Turn the blower off, and the lights come back on. I looked at the wiring schematic , and it doesn't appear that the two are on any way connected.
Any
Clues ???
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

the blower motor will NOT run on high speed at all ?

do you have a multi meter on hand ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Correct!
I do not have a multi meter.
The thing that baffles me is that the daytime running lights go out.
Before I install the new resistor, it would run on high speed untill I tried to run on a lower speed, and the. It would sti turn off the headlights in daytime mode.
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

we would really need a multi meter to find out what is going on here

those 2 can be related by a low power issue to a few fuses or a common ground being bad would also cause the relationship between the 2 acting up

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll get one!
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just to be sure we're talking about the right tool, I have a "volts/ohms tester". Multimeter is something else?
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

yes volts and ohm tester

we need to see with the car ON and the blower set to high speed if the orange wire at the resistor shows 12 volts

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok,
It reads out at 14 volts. So it's getting power.
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

correct

now unplug the resistor and with the car ON and blower set to high put the red meter lead to the orange wire terminal in the connector and the black lead to the black wire terminal in the connector NOT any of the 2 wires from the resistor to the blower motor itself but just on the connector that does NOT go to the blower motor what will it read for volts ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Damn!
My jumper wire touched ground and I blew a fuse somewhere. Looking for it now. Do you know off hand which one it would be?
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

it should be the fuse called HVAC/CONTR in the inside fuse box

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, good call!
But again, hooking the black wire of the meter to the black wire not connector , and the red wire on the meter to the orange wire in the connector, I read 14 volts again.
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

so testing at the orange wire terminal and the black wire terminal 14 volts ?

does the other orange show 12 volts ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's actually showing about 9 volts
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

if those powers check out can you return the resistor and try out a new one ? from the sounds of this that resistor is defective

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I still have the other problem....why does the daytime running lamps go out when I turn on the blower ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Gary
I tried a new resistor , but I keep having the same problem.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Different expert here.

This is a very common issue on the 2001-2004 Grand Prix. The problem is a faulty ignition switch, which does send power to both the blower motor and the running lamps. I have replaced at least 30 over the last few years for this issue. Replace the ignition switch(not the ignition key cylinder) and it will resolve this issue

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that your expert pays for requested directions out of pocket for your benefit. Failure to give a positive rating means that the expert will no longer be able to provide this service at substantial savings to you

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?