FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am, with Supercharger. It

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am, with Supercharger. It started knocking recently, and is getting worse. Oil is good and changed regularly (Synthetic). I am afraid to drive it now. My first thought was the oil pump has gone out, but it only has less the 50K miles.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Is this a Grand Am or Grand Prix?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry, Grand Prix GTP

Thank you. Does the knock change as the engine warms up? Does it get louder or go away if you rev the engine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
At one time it would get better as the car warmed up, but not now. Sounds the same at different RPMs. I can't hear a lot of difference while driving.

Thank you. Start by pulling off both engine drive belts and start the engine to see if it goes away. It is common for the supercharger to fail internally and cause this. If the noise is still there with the belts removed then it may be a rod knock or a collapsed lifter. You can tell which one it is by whether the noise seems to be from the top of the engine or the bottom.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was thinking it could be the Supercharger, but didn't know how to check. I will do as you advised. Thanks for the good advice. This was what I was looking to find out.

If you happen to need anything else or have more questions please let me know.