Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Headlights randomly come on with car turned off keys in

Customer Question

Headlights randomly come on with car turned off keys in hand. 2007 Pontiac gran prix
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the combo switch and the body control module using gmparts. Only way to get the lights to turn off is to pull the module/relay.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** it the hi beams or low beams that come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Low beams and quite possibly daytime running light mode.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I'm assuming you tried to replace relay? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried more than one
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Does unplugging the BCM shut off the lights?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know buried in dash. Had gm tech replace with new and reprogram. Found no issues. Problem resufaced almost immediately.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The body control module activates the relay and relay sends power to the lights. Since removing relay shuts off lights that would mean possible problems are relay, wiring, or BCM. Since BCM and relay have been replaced that would leave problem as wiring. There is a pink/white wire that goes from fuse box to body control module, if this wire is grounding out it will activate the relay. I'd probably run a new wire at this point since everything else has been done. Here is a wiring diagram so you can see how system works. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6vgsnrva83ufbf/hldwd.pdf?dl=0

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will give it a try.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, let me know how it turns out or if you run into questions. You can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks again and have a good night.