Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

My 01 grand am won't turn over

Customer Question

hello my 01 grand am won't turn over
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 10 months ago.

What have you done so far?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just tried turning it on.. it has a new starter.. it just won't crank over

How is the battery?

Expert:  tristan replied 10 months ago.

Phone call payment failed. Please double check the information

The phone call wont accept something wrong but I would like to help fix your issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't have enough money.. the battery is fine

If you are 100% sure about the battery than I suspect maybe a passlock issue here. Do you see theft or security light on the dash?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
its flashing

Okay, we will try doing what is called a relearn procedure.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've heard about this. I turned the key to the on position and the radio said calibrate then went away

1. Insert ignition key and turn to the “ON” position. Do not attempt to start the engine. Leave the key in the “ON” position for approximately 11 minutes. The security light will be steady on or flashing for the 11-minute period. Do not proceed to Step 2 until the security light turns off or stops flashing. 2. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 seconds. 3. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position as in Step 1 for 11 minutes. 4. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 seconds. 5. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position as in Step 1 for 11 minutes for a third time. 6. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 seconds for a third time. 7. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position for 30 seconds. 8. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position. 9. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine starts and runs, the relearn is complete

It has to be done 3 times equaling 30 minutes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
its in the on position and theftlock light isn't doing anything
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when I turn it to on position the radio says calibrate and the theftlock light is not lite

Sometimes in my experience in this you have to just go through the process. But I always start with a fresh system. If you do not have a scan tool disconnect the battery for five minutes. After you reinstall the battery cables do the 30 minute relearn do not even worry about the lights. Just turn the key to on wait 11 minutes than turn the key off wait 30 secs repeat 3 times total.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, what does the calibrate mean

This has to do with the stock stereo.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
do I need to do the battery cables for sure?

Yes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok I disconncted one. Do I need to do both

Yes you do in order to discharge the computers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok both disconnected

Wait 5 minutes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have having trouble with my ipc/bfc acc fuse. The dash gauges won't do anything. After I start the car I have to pull that fuse out and put it back in to get gauges to come on
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
could this be affecting the car starting?

Could have a short thats why taking it out and putting it back in works. Could be short in the cluster or even the Body Control Module and yes it can cause this issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how do I solve that?

Let's try the relearn and go from there. If that does not correct the issue we will get a multimeter and do some testing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nothing.. didn't work

Since I do not have any wiring diagrams at the moment I will open this up to the other experts. Please dont reply until they do.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Do you have a test light and a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would like a refund. The response time was way to long and I had my car towed to a local mechanic who fixed it bc it was a fuel pump. Please issue me a refund.

I will send to customer service. Just so you know wont turn over indicates that the starter does not work. Wont start indicates the starter works but engine wont start. You may have wasted a lot of time due to your improper description.