GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 01 Sunfire where the right side (passenger)

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 01 Sunfire where the right side (passenger) headlight is very dim, both hi & low beam. Driver side is good. Changed bulb, same result. Could this be a ground issue or a headlight switch?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I don't really know what else to add? I looked at some of the more accessible wiring and it isn't corroded.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pontiac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 10 months ago.

HI there, I am Cam.

I am sorry to hear about this issue. It is a common issue though. This system uses a single power source to the light bulb, then the switch applies ground to the light it wants on. To have both dim suggests power is not fully getting there. I have seen countless cars like this with wiring issue along the front where the wiring runs to that bulb. Nicks in the wire cause corrosion inside to eat away at the wire and cause this issue.

I would start by tracing the wiring back from the headlight to the other side. The wring then splices with the other headlight behind the left side to link them together. I am confident you will find the issue along there.