FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 2006 Pontiac Torrent. I 't know if its coincidence

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, I have a 2006 Pontiac Torrent. I don't know if its coincidence or not but I gave a vehicle a jumpstart and then drove home. The next time I went to start the Torrent the battery was dead so I hooked jumper cables up to it and it tried to start(while I hooked the jumpers up). The ignition switch is off and key is removed and it will try to start by hooking up the jumpers. I assumed by jumpstarting the other vehicle I must have welded some contacts in the solenoid so I replaced my starter and same story. I was going for the ignition switch next, but maybe you have a different idea.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Starter will engage without turning on the ignition switch. Did you not receive my story?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pontiac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure I can wait a bit
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Most of the time this is caused by a failing ignition switch. If the switch does not turn all of the way off then this will occur. It can also be a starter relay, but that is not as common. I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will try changing the ignition switch this weekend. Thanks for the response, I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks for getting back with me. If you need any further help please let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Changed the ignition switch and starter relay but we still have problems. It doesn't try to start now but the main engine relay clicks and the dome light flashes and fog lights stay on. This is all with the key off.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Looks like the jump start may have caused all this. This may be a job for the dealership, unless you have some ideas to check.

When you installed the ignition switch were all of the teeth on the switch aligned?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
not sure what you mean by teeth?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I went out this morning and tried to remove the block where the relays and fuses plug in, but wasn't able to remove it. I went ahead and tried hooking up the battery again and this time the passlock light stayed on. After a couple of restarts the light went out and no more relays clicking, so maybe there was something in the theft system that needed reset. I have the battery hooked up now and am hoping that all is well. At least for now it appears to be normal, just a little unsure because I really did nothing to the vehicle since last night when all the relays and lights were clicking and flashing.

Make sure that the battery is fully charged and that the connections at the cables are clean and tight. If it persists it can be a problem with the body control module.