Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

My daughter in law just called and told me her 2003 Pontiac

Customer Question

Customer: My daughter in law just called and told me her 2003 Pontiac Grand Am 2.2 will crank and run but will not move. They just installed a new battery today. When the car is running the check engine light comes on, the oil light is on and the battery light is on.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No that is about it. It will crank and run but not move.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pontiac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long is a bit?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

this happened right after just the battery being replaced ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

may i ask why the battery was being changed ?

the car will idle fine and the shifter physically goes into reverse and rive and the engine just revs up and the car will not move like its in neutral all the time ?

when in park will the car NOT roll and be locked on the parking lock ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter is not strong enough to role the car. The battery was tested and was bad so they installed a new battery. The car cranks and runs but will not move in drive or reverse. the before mentioned lights come on.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you see if the shift cable has just been popped off the little lever on top of the transmission ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can ask them but that would not explain the three warning lights would it?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

usually when those lights are lit up the battery is not being charged from the alternator

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car was running fine and she parked the car. The next day she tried to crank the car and the car battery was dead. She put a new battery in and those three lights came on and the car will run but not move so I don't think it is an alternator issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She also does not know where to look for the transmission cable but that would not explain the lights.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will pursue another avenue. Thank you for your help. Can you tell me how to cancel this monthly plan