Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

No power from purple wire to starter I may have shorted

Customer Question

No power from purple wire to starter I may have shorted something while installing new starter the main batt cable was grounding out on the starter motor re positioned and now nothing all was fine before that with electrical is there a in line fuse somewhere
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  camerontech replied 10 months ago.

hi there,

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech.

can i have your vehicle info , year and engine and auto or manual thanks.

and ill pull up a diagram!

thanks

cam

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
67 firebird auto

ok,

sorry, i do not have the wiring diagram for this one.

i will opt out and have another tech jump in

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

Which engine?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

Actually they are all the same. Here is the wiring diagram,

The purple wire comes from the ignition switch and I believe the ignition switch is fed from the light switch. At the bottom of the steering column under the dash, that should be where the harness for the ignition switch comes out. Either back probe that purple wire there or disconnect the harness there and check the purple wire coming down from the steering wheel for voltage when the key is turned to start.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

My mistake, I believe the ignition switch is actually fed from the horn relay, which is spliced into the connection at the B+ at the rear of the alternator. I would start testing there, at the rear of the alternator with a voltmeter or 12 volt test light, then test at the horn relay where the 2 red wires are, before having to test at that ignition switch.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

Here, I made you a simplified wiring diagram of that starting system from the battery all the way to the starter.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.