Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

My security light is on, my dash lights/headlights/radio and

Customer Question

Customer: my security light is on, my dash lights/headlights/radio and door locks aren't working and when I turn off my aztec the parking lights are staying on, what is the malfunction and how do I fix it?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it starts up ok (when I reconnect my battery) after a few seconds all the lights and radio start flickering on and off then the security light lights up and everything shuts off. I manually have to turn on my headlights and the dummy lights stay on and the car runs. The radio/dashlights/and door locks won't work
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pontiac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything after market been added to your vehicle like an after market remote start or alarm system at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not that I know
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've had this vehicle for over 5 yrs, it's been acting up like this since summer time, now that it's cold it's awful
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Can you tell me the year of this model so I can look up some info on it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2001
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,on this model with what you have described here at fault this sounds like the common fault of the BCM (body control module) itself.The BCM receives and sends electrical signals for the park lights,radio and locks as well as other components.It will fail internally and cause the issue you see here as I have seen several times before and had to replace.

The body control module has to be replaced with a new one as a used one is set up and programmed to a different vehicle and will not work on your model here.The cost I show is around $300 for this module and 1.5 hours labor to have replaced and programmed.It has to be programmed by a dealer in order for it to operate properly in your vehicle.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete