Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

My 2004 pontiac vibe moved from warm west palm to cold

Customer Question

My 2004 pontiac vibe moved from warm west palm to cold gainesville 30-50's. The car wont crank or start during the day but will start just fine on cold mornings? I replaced the battery. What should i do? Im a poor student trying to avoid gmc dealership
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Hello, It sounds like the starter motor failing, that is the way they will act when they are going out, they will get hot with the engine temp, and not work, then when they cool off, they will work again, You can try this, get a hammer and a tire iron or screwdriver, and get someone to HOLD the key in START position when it won't start, and you go out and tap on the side of the starter slightly, if it immediately turns the engine over when you hit it a few times, that is a dead giveaway that you will need a starter. If you have a test light or volt meter, you can test the small wire going to the solenoid to see if it has power on it when the key is held in the START position. My thoughts are it is, because it does work sometimes. I believe you will need a starter motor to repair it. They are not too bad to put on, Book time calls for 1.0 hour to replace it. So it's not a big job. Try Rockauto.com for the starter motor, or call a local chain store , such as Napa or Oreilly's. I tend to stay away from Advance or AutoZone, I had bad luck with Duralast AutoZone starters. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.