Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

Thanks me with the timing on my Pontiac G5 2.2L Ecotec

Customer Question

Thanks ***** ***** for helping me with the timing on my Pontiac G5 2.2L Ecotec engine. Now, after warm-up, the engine increases to 3,000 RPMS in park and neutral only - in gear the car runs ok. Prior to the engine revving up, the service traction light comes on - no check engine light or abs light comes on. While driving, the service traction light is intermittent. I'm thinking I might have a problem with the throttle body since the air control and tps are built into the throttle body. I think the computer is trying to compensate for an increase in the air supply by increasing the fuel supply which raises the rpms. Please advise. Thank you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Check for carbon build up in the throttle body bore.In some cases the carbon an cause an air flow issue coming in at idle and the idle may raise up like this here.Clean the throttle body bore and bore plate with a shop rag with some brake clean or carburetor cleaner sprayed onto the rag.Make sure you have no vacuum leaks as well on the engine.If the fault continues even though the check engine light isnt on I would have the fault codes checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and correct the fault here.If any codes are set let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete