tracer6
tracer6, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Auto and Light truck foreign and domestic
13677702

, dealer wants to charge 7 hours to replace fuel lines

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: dealer wants to charge 7 hours to replace fuel lines from the front of the engine to 3/4s of the way back. they said they need to raise the engine. I think the time is too much. What do you think?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pontiac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ill come back
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  tracer6 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, sorry for the delay, can you tell me year?model? and engine size? thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2003 Aztek Rally, 3.4L V6
Expert:  tracer6 replied 1 year ago.

well this is an interesting question, I have published book times that most? shop should follow, I can not speak for whatever else they have put on the estimate but.. reviewing information on my end does not require engine to be lifted etc but does require the upper intake planum to be removed which is a little bit of work. Both fuel lines to change which includes what I mentioned and few side steps to the repairs come in around 3.2 hours so,,, unsure why 7 hours labor,something is not adding up, A local shop can do this job as well, may want to check with one, it is not dealer only repair,so,, to be safe? lets say 4 hours labor maximum as wheat we would quote in our shop,Unless both of us are not getting all the information.the job can be dome without lifting engine but.. it is tight area which requires flexing/bending even the new lines to feed them through, I feel 7 hours is way high unless I am not getting all estimate details, We work off book times, simple as that, Some shops will raise those times to adjust for past delays on a job or simply to make a bit more money so.. I tell all my customers, if in doubt? get a second opinion, I realize I am one but I am not there looking etc so best for onsite second/3rd opinion, summary? 7 hours is too high