GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

The issue is right side headlamp, no low beam
, I have

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** the issue is right side headlamp, no low beam
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have just watched a video and think I know where to look for the problem. yes, I can
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pontiac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is the right side only. There are two wires for power when the low beam is on and one when the high beam is on. There is a third wire for ground. There is no continuity in the ground wire, the high beam grounds through the second power wire when the power to it is shut down by the dimmer system.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I cut the ground wire and went direct to ground the light was always on and could not be shut off, but both low and high beams seemed to work. Also, I don't know if this is the same problem, related, or something else. The daytime driving lights do not function. When I engage the transmission they flash for several seconds (both lights functioning for this) then shut off, and the green headlamp warning light on the dash flashes until the lights are turned on.
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, Could you give me the year and model of the car?, the software the website uses accidently filtered it out

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1999 Sunfire.
Expert:  SARMIENTO22556 replied 11 months ago.

Hello , I will try my best to help you with your concern.

Have you been able o figure out the issue or do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have not done anything more with the thing. I had assumed it was the switch, and I have a new switch to install, but the research I have done yesterday leads me to believe the wiring between the switch and the light is a more likely problem, perhaps from the wiring block under the battery carrier. Am I probably on the right track here? Should I check continuity here before proceeding with the switch?

so you are missing the ground? you have all the other necessary powers?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
all the powers are there. grounding directly to the body turns on the light even when the switch is off, so I cannot do this it must ground through the switch but there is no continuity to ground through the switch. I have not yet checked continuity between the light and the switch.

yes you will need to check that to make sure there is not an issue there. There is no sense replacing the switch if you don't have to