FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 06 Pontiac Grand prix that surges (tach and speed )

Customer Question

I have a 06 Pontiac Grand prix that surges (tach and speed ) between 70 and 80 mph..
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on an how many miles are on the vehicle.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The check engine light is not on and has 107,000

Thank you. A surge that does turn on the check engine light on this vehicle is typically caused by worn spark plugs or a dirty mass air flow sensor. I would recommend cleaning the sensor first to see if that helps. Is this something you plan on doing yourself?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had the plugs and wires replaced and the car professionally serviced a few months ago but it still does the same thing it flutters until I speed up or slow down when only running around 70 to 80 mph

Then the mas air flow sensor needs to be cleaned and the signal checked. Besides this sensor the issue may be in the transmission.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The check engine light doesnt come on when it happens so I took it to a mechanic and he found no codes with snap on scanner he said most times the GM transmission will not throw codes so he wants to drive it with scanner plugged in and watch a few things.... thanks for your help.....

Please let me know what he finds or if you need more help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok will do

Thanks.