Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

I have 95 Pontiac firebird lifters were tightened without

Customer Question

Customer: I have 95 Pontiac firebird lifters were tightened without torque car stared fine but vibrate bad had lifters adjusted and torqued car started but sputtered and died dude says it jumped time I think he done something to it to make it worse
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well when the car was vibrating real bad I changed the spark plugs and wow it started the first click seemed like everything was fine till the last guy said he was torqueing the lifters and then it had to keep trying to start and when it did it sputtered and died now he says I may need another motor is it possible he just wants more money and why did it start so good before he adjusted then after its worse
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pontiac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes cause I need to no if this guy did something on pourpuse and if it needs another motor my god he was to ajust them now it don't run
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Depending on the engine in this vehicle here he may have damaged lifters or valves causing this fault here.If you can tell me the liter engine in your vehicle here this will help.I would have a cylinder compression test done on all cylinders to see if any are found to be low.If any are low and the lifters are not adjusted properly most likely valves were possibly damaged and may have damaged the engine pistons as well to where the engine would need repaired or replaced.

First thing first though if you can tell me the liter engine this will help.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete