Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

I have a 2003 pontiac grand am se1 6 cyl 3.4 ltr engine. The

Customer Question

I have a 2003 pontiac grand am se1 6 cyl 3.4 ltr engine. The car cranks but wont start. I installed a new passlock over a year ago and that got the security light to stop going on but the car has to be in the on position then I disconnect the battery and then reconnect it and the car will finally start. But if the car sits for longer than 3 hours I have to go through the process all over again. I can't get my car inspected because I keep clearing the codes. What is the cause of this and how do I fix it without spending a fortune? It seems like a lot of grand am owners have this issue. I love my car and would love to keep it longer. Is it the alarm system? Thank you!
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi Toni, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description it doesn't sound like a security problem because the vehicle does finally start and run after you disconnect and reconnect the battery. What are the specific codes you're clearing. With the P codes I can look into this problem more in depth.

Let me know what P codes are storing in the PCM.
Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to advanced auto tomorrow. I will get a picture of the codes. I believe there are several. I drove 290 miles to upstate NY and still had 3 left to clear. I have received 4 tickets for no inspection or registration and have to solve this by February when the ticket is due. Could it be my bcm module? I am having headlight issues as well. They go on and off in auto mode and also when the car is off. I'm at my wits end. I Also love this car. Everything else is fine, it runs great.
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi Toni,
Thanks for getting back to me. I hate to use the "IF" word, but I don't know what all was done when the passlock sensor was installed, so I'll try and keep the "IF's" to a minimum. When you installed the passlock sensor a relearn procedure should have been performed to program the new passlock sensor to the Body Control Module (BCM) and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). If this was not performed it could cause no start situations. The link below is a description of the passlock system and the procedure for replacing the Passlock Sensor, BCM and or the PCM. Not saying that the relearn procedure will solve all the vehicles problems but it could solve some of them or leave you in a not start situation.

Programming Theft Deterrent System Components

The headlight issues sound BCM related. If there's a problem with the BCM this would also cause the passlock system to forget the password ***** described in the programming procedure. The BCM can be monitored with a dealer level scan tool to determine if it's affecting the headlamps and or the security system. With a scan tool one can see the headlamp switch input in BCM data. If it is not changing as the lights are flashing, look at the ambient light sensors data and confirm it is stable. If it's stable check the BCM powers and grounds. If all checks good the BCM is defective. If there are any other problems with like the door locks and or the remote keyless entry systems these could also be BCM related problems.

I'm not sure if Advance will be able to scan the BCM, kind of depends on how much money the store manager has invested into stores shop tools.

I hope this information is helpful. Let me know what all you find out.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.