Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech
7276279

I got stuck yesterday in the snow and now ive got my engine

Customer Question

Customer: I got stuck yesterday in the snow and now ive got my engine light on, and I am not sure why or what i need to do to fix it, and if it is urgent to do so
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: not much its a 2009 pontiac G5, I thought maybe the light was on cuz i was low on fuel, but that's not the case, Like I said i did get stuck in the snow yesterday. so that could be why, cuz i have lots on condensation isdie
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pontiac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: of couse I can wait, im not a pushy person, ive got patience after all its christmas! lol
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The check engine light comes on when the PCM (computer) sees a system fault and when this happens the computer will set and store a fault code and or codes. The problem may be due to the moisture . What you need to do first is remove the negative battery cable which will clear the fault and turn the light off. If the light came on due to a false code then the problem is resolved. If the light returns after you have driven the car then you will need to have a scan done and the fault code retrieved. Most auto parts stores such as Auto Zone will do the scan for you at no charge. Try clearing the code first and if the light dose not return then its no longer an issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok I will give it a go and let you know what happens! Thank you so much! and Merry christmas! ;)
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.