Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

I have a 1996grand prix every time we turn on the ign switch

Customer Question

Customer: Dave i have a 1996grand prix every time we turn on the ign switch it blows a 40 amp ign fuse like a dead short
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the fuse blows when we go to start the car the engine won't even turn over
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pontiac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

which 40 amp fuse the IGN 1 or IGN 2 in the under hood fuse box ?

will it blow when you just turn the key ON ? or only when you hold the key to crank position ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ing 1 blows when try ing to start not when it turns on
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

ok thank you

if you pull the fuse # ***** in the fuse box a 5 amp fuse will it still blow the big 40 amp fuse when holding the key to CRANK position ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thinking mAybe the starter or the sol?
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

if you remove the 5 amp fuse # ***** and the 40 amp stops blowing when holding the key to crank then either the starter is bad OR that purple wire at the starter solenoid is shorted

if the purple wire visually looks good the odds are a new starter will correct this issue

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

how are you making out ?

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer