camerontech
camerontech, auto technician
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

I pulled my 2002 2.4l sunfire gt over, working perfectly

Customer Question

I pulled my 2002 2.4l sunfire gt over, working perfectly fine, i shut my ignition off because I was low on gas and lost, I forgot I had manually turned my headlights on and due to a weak battery my car wouldn't start. I had a new battery installed and now my car cranks but won't fire up. I'm devastated as I was far away from home and my baby is in mint condition, has only seen 2 winters since new! I can't afford city labor which is where my car is and having it towed home would be a 2 hr journey and an even greater expense. When the guy (not a mechanic) installed the battery my dash lights started pulsing and flickering plus an electrical winding sound, have never had that happen before so wondering if that's normal? What could possibly be causing my "has crank no fire" situation when she was behaving perfectly fine before the battery swap?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  camerontech replied 11 months ago.

hi there,

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech.

ITs quite possible a fuse popped when the battery was connected. this can happen if the ignition is left of or just a weak fuse.

I would recommend checking all the fuses both under the hood and in the interior compartment.

if all fuses are ok, i would recommend a "hard reset". this is done by disconnecting the 2 battery terminals and holding them together for at least 15 mins.

give this a shot and let me know how it works out

cam

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I'll try that!! That's a whole new view on my situation so fingers crossed, hope and pray all the other "experts" are wrong!! :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The lights flickering along with the electrical sound when the battery is being hooked up, is that normal?

it is if the battery terminal is making contact and loosing it over and over again

this can also mess the theft system up too.

if the theft light is fashing than you will need to do a relearn again.

to do this, try and start the car and leave the ignition on fir at least 20 mins or untill the theft light goes out

this could be another thing that happend when disconnecting the battery

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thanks!! Puts my mind at ease and you saved a life!! Haha!! :)
On the advice of yet another "expert" it was suggested the anti-theft lock system and told to try to start it twice and then leave key in on position for only 10 minutes, turn key off then start but nothing...you say 20 minutes so is this where the trouble shooting possibly went wrong, didn't wait long enough?
Thanks for all your help so far, greatly appreciating it!!
Sandy

no prob, it is different times sometimes. it is always untill the light goes out though, this is when the system has learned the key

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh my gosh, this has been an expensive ordeal thus far and waiting for the anti-theft light to go out was neglected to be mentioned by the previous "expert"!!
I'll definitely give that another try first!! Thanks again!!

k let me know, fingers crossed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Same here lol I'll let you know!!

hi there,

how did your repair go?

cam

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll be trying it tomorrow. It's being towed home in the morning, I had already had that in place as it broke down 2 hrs from home so now just playing the waiting game until morning! :) I'm excited to try your ideas!! I'll let you know tomorrow :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for asking :) So nice to not feel like just a number in this crazy sometimes selfish world!!

hi again,

im just going through my pages and i am checking on your repair...

did you get it started?

thank and i would appreciate a positive rating!

cam