Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

Lowbeam headlights 't work on a 2001 sunfire

Customer Question

Lowbeam headlights don't work on a 2001 sunfire
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything been checked,tested or replaced to try and locate or repair this issue here at all?

Let me know so we can continue from here,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, i just got the car yesterday and found out last nite. nothing to my knowledge, waiting to call the previous owner later today
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,the first thing to check is to make sure the low beam bulbs are all o.k. and do not need replaced.In some cases they can burn out and need replaced.If these are o.k. if your high beams do work but not the low beams the most common cause is the dimmer switch itself/multifunction switch that switches between low and high beam.To find out for sure if this switch is the cause needing replaced this will need tested with a multi meter or test light.If you have this tool to test this let me know and I can walk you through this testing.

The other component that will cause this is an internal electrical fault in the BCM (body control module) but usually this is just an issue with either burned out bulbs or the multi function switch itself needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is this switch located so i can test it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how much should i expect to pay if i take it to a mechanic to fix?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The cost of the turn signal switch can run around $200 in some cases and is the switch located behind the steering wheel that the turn signal lever is attached to.Labor to replace it is an hours charge so you may be looking at $300 parts and labor to have replaced.You want to locate the dark bluw wire coming out of the switch at terminal C and this should have a ground signal on this circuit with the low beams switched on.If you have no ground signal at this switch then the switch needs replaced.

Thanks Pete