Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I have a 2001 GTP Grand Prix. When I turn on the heater fan

Customer Question

Hi Mike, I have a 2001 GTP Grand Prix. When I turn on the heater fan the display above the radio goes out and the fan never comes on. I don't see a connection two the two on the schematic below? Some times after a few minutes the display comes back on if I turn the fan off but as soon as I turn the fan back on it turns the display right off again and the fan never works! I am guessing the fan motor is gone? but why does the display go out?
Craiger...
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 11 months ago.

This is a common problem on the Grand Prix. The circuit through the ignition switch that feeds the heater fan also feeds the DIC (dash display) and on some vehicles the DRL circuit as well. The problem is in the contacts in the ignition switch. The fan draws enough current that voltage drops too low and the dash display cuts out. Replacing the ignition switch will fix the problem.