GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My name is ***** ***** and I have a 2004 Grand Am that will

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and I have a 2004 Grand Am that will not turn over from the ignition. I have replaced the whole ignition and still will not turn over. I can turn it over at the starter and it will start and only run for a second or two. Any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When this happened I was trying to start the car and it started to turn over and the acted like it lost all power. I have replaced the key switch, and checked all the fuses. I have power to the starter and can bypass the starter and it will turn over and start but shuts off as if you turned the key off.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pontiac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 11 months ago.

Hello I am Reggie thanks for the question. It sounds to me like your theft system has disabled engine operation. When you turn key and attempt to crank are you getting a blinking theft or security light? If so and I believe you will we have a couple of different options as to repair. Lets confirm it and i will lay them out to you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The security light is not blinking.

But you say the car will not turn over and if you jump starter relay it will crank and die. This is the exactly what happens the engine is allowed to start and run and die. Even though your light is not blinking I am still inclined to believe our problem is there. do you have access to a scan tool

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If that is the case how do I get around it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not have access to a scanner.

Okay there is a way to disable this system. If you remove your radio to access your ignition switch unbolt it lay it to side you will see 3 small wires coming out the top of the ignition lock cylinder the part where the key is. These wires go to the part of the key that sends the signal to the pcm authorizing crank. You will have to get a 2200 ohm resistor and solder it in between two of these wires are you comfortable with that? And after you have soldered that in you will do a manual relearn but this would be difficult because you say your light isnt blinking. Which is why i was hoping you had a scanner so we could confirm this was your issue. I couldnt imagine it not being but the light not blinking is bothering me

Wait a minute i just re read your statement you say you replaced the whole ignition do you mean key and all? if so then for sure this is your problem lets do a manual relearn but we need the light blinking

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will have to look at it tomorrow. I will see if I can get someone to come and scan it and see what it says.

Good idea. I look forward to hearing from you. But sir if you replaced those parts for sure you have to do a relearn. I can show you how.