Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

Whitman, 2002 Aztec with similar problem. after 2 days,

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Whitman, 2002 Aztec with similar problem. after 2 days, battery dead. after jump runs fine. if I drive it every day it seems fine. let it sit two days, have to jump it again. new battery.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: dealer stated bad battery, replaced it, doing the same thing. they want diagnostic time to find a "draw". hoping someone had similar problem so I could identify myself without paying dealer 300.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pontiac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This does sound like a draw issue here on the battery.I can say most common is a fault in the radio itself or a stuck on relay or switch stuck on needing replaced.The problem is that there are several components that will cause this issue here so this will have to be tested further to pinpoint which component is at fault.Testing for a draw isnt to difficult as long as you have a multi meter and time as it can take time.Since it is so hard to pinpoint which exact component is causing this I will post the procedure below on how to locate the source.Once you know the circuit its on let me know.If you do not have this tool to do this it is almost impossible to locate without another facility doing this testing.You can check visually for anything being left on or stuck on needing repaired like lights,etc. but other then this the testing will need done to pinpoint the fault.

what needs done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.

Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).

Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery,this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.

After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamp or less then .05 amp.

If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.

From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamp.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.

Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need replaced.If you need help knowing what is on the fuses circuit once the fuse is located let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete