Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My 2002 Sunfire 2.2l automatic, suddenly developed grinding

Customer Question

My 2002 Sunfire 2.2l automatic, suddenly developed grinding noises from the front end. replaced the left bearing hub. Better, then a few months later the right bearing hub, better. then again on the left hub, replaced under warranty. It has returned again. Check hubs fine. Suspect diff but it is a dry grinding and the auto trans is working just fine. If it was the diff, would the metal material destroy the trans pretty fast. Stumped and it is so loud but everything is working great.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, quite a bit of information that is needed is missing -

Exact circumstances of grinding noise - all the time, only on acceleration, only at steady speed, rotational, etc

Does the grinding either lessen or increase when turning in one specific direction

Does it make a grinding noise if you put it in neutral and coast

Does the noise appear to be coming from the wheel area or more centered in the engine compartment

Please remember that I am not there to test drive it and therefore rely on you to provide as much information as possible

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Noise is all the time and is rotational in relation to speed
Noise does not change when turning either direction
Noise continues when coasting in neutral
Noise difficult to determine exactly, seems to be transfer through out the whole drive train
Noise continues when braking
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, because it happens in neutral, we can rule out the tansaxle/differential gears and shafts. It may be the output shaft bearings in the differential that the cv shafts go thru because the cv shafts will still turn in neutral. The only other cause is one of the cv shaft housing tripod and bearings.

It needs to go on a lift and have someone put it in gear and accelerate while someone listens to each cv shaft tripod inner and outer housing and then listen at the differential where the shafts go into it with a mechanic's stethoscope. This will enable one to verify the cause.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is the output shaft bearings would the debree from the bearing start to damage the atrans rapidly. Are these bearing serviceable externally or internally.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

They wont damage the transmission due to failure or debris. They can eat up the ends of the cv shafts though and require their replacement. They are only servicable by dropping the transaxle assembly and removing the case to get to them

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?