Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix After it warms up I have to crank it

Customer Question

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix After it warms up I have to crank it at least 2 times before it starts. I've changed the fuel pump and ignition wires and still have the same problem
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

First, I need the engine size - 3.8L, 3.8L Supercharged, or 5.3L engine

During the long cranking times have you checked the fuel pressure and whether it is holding pressure? If so, what was the pressure and how long did it hold pressure.

Have you pulled a plug to see if it was wet or dry during the long cranking times and which were they

While you have replace the pump, this could be a faulty fuel pressure regulator or leaking injector, or may be ignition related.

If you have a scan tool, check the rpm signal when cranking and let me know what it is

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you. The engine size is a 3.8 L. Fuel pressure is 60 pounds to start and in 5 min. it's down to 35 pounds. The car starts right away in the morning, it only starts to give me trouble after I've driven in a while so pulling the plug would be hard to do. The pressure regulator was replaced with the fuel pump as its all-in-one unit. I don't have the scan tool to check the RPM while cranking. But it seems a crank fairly fast.Lately it's been starting on the first try but it sounds like it's only hitting on every other cylinder while starting.