GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

02 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.1 No start when warm New: Crankshaft

Customer Question

02 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.1
No start when warm
New:
Crankshaft Position Sensor, fixed fluxuating RPM's
Engine Coolant Temp Sensor
Thermostat, (was stuck)
New lock cylinder, and reprogramed keys.
When cranking but no start have:
Spark at all 3 coil packs
Constant Fuel pressure (45 PSI, measured at end of rail)
Only code I receive is for Camshaft position sensor,
Only other known problem is Fans are not turning on. (No faulty fuses or relays found yet) Please help.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Reggie and I believe I can help you. I think your problem is in the Theft Deterent system. You say new programmed keys, so the keys and lock cylinder were replaced at same time? What programming procedure did you use? And you say no codes do you have a scanner capable of reading all modules such as the RFA module? If so and you have no codes. When the vehicle want start after turning over if you released they key to the run position is the theft light or security light flashing?

If so that would confirm for us that your problem is in security, which many times will not set a code. And as far as programming I have had instances where I had to program the keys multiple times before module permanently accepted.

And let me tell you another problem that I see alot of, many times when these components are replaced the connector that plugs into the passkey housing, the three wire one at the end of the housing, this connector is not replaced, which I strongly recommend doing so because they are inherent to terminal problems such as loosening of the tension. And any connection problem here will give a false reading and throw your module into learn mode.

So lets begin by verifying the security problem. Is that what happens here if you tried to start the car it will spin over may even fire and run for second but not likely, then if you released the key to run position, dont cut it off just release to run is your security or theft light flashing

I can show you how to program the system yourself with no tools, and if you like I could also show you how to disable and remove the system from your car by bypassing it.