Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech
7276279

Car randomly sounds horrible and won't start... I had to

Customer Question

Car randomly sounds horrible and won't start... I had to press on the gas to get it to crank over and once it did it sounded like something grinding under the hood. I had the starter replace a 3-4 months ago. Oil got in that one I believe from a slow leak I can't find, hoping that that's not the issue again cause I never heard it sound like this before. And I attempted like 10-15 times
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are describing could be caused by the starter staying engaged after the engine has started. What you are going to need to do is get under there where you can check the stater while the noise is present. If it appears to be coming from the starter try smacking it a few times with a small hammer to see if you can unstick it. If that works then that means the Bendix is sticking and the starter has failed again.