GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

You have helped me in the past with the same car. I put in a

Customer Question

You have helped me in the past with the same car. I put in a new edelbrock 650cfm carb replacing the old Rochester quadrajet, a year ago. I ran good for a year but now it won't idle and chokes out. And puffs clouds of white smoke.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

The white smoke is definitely smoke and not water vapour (condensation) like all cars get in cold weather?

I would try another carb on their now, I can't see your problem being carburettor related.

Were the float levels correct? Were the floats not ruptured (fuel logged)? Were the needle and seats functioning correctly?

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Float levels correct, floats not ruptured, needle and seed. Were not at first due to debris but now are, also there is gasoline in my oil pan and the oil level is very low, have to change the oil, what caused this problem, also it is white smoke , not vapor , very heavy.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if the carb was flooding to the point of excessively rich and drowning the engine, it would have topped up the oil with fuel.

Now the fuel diluted oil is so thin, the rings can't control the oil, and so it burns.

If the carb seems correct now, can we change the oil, including correct level and reassess?

Your problem has occurred from a deteriorating fuel line after the fuel filter.

Any time a line is disturbed after the filter, you can also risk this scenario happening.

Happened to a mate of mine years ago, I knew what it was when he told me what he had done that day.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will change the oil and reassess the problem, will keep you posted!
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ok, come back when you're ready.