Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

I'm ***** ***** having problems with 1992 grand am tilt

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I'm ***** ***** having problems with 1992 grand am tilt wheel automatic....ignition switch will not go to lock position to remove key
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: can operate car in all gears but when i turn it off can't turn to lock position to re
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pontiac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: about how long a wait?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Make sure the vehicle is shifted into park fully when trying to turn off the key and remove it.In some cases this fault here can be caused by a damaged shifter cable not allowing the neutral safety switch to shift into park needing replaced or an issue with the neutral safety switch itself electronically needing replaced.I have also seen faults intermittently with the electronic ignition switch but usually on the older model like this here it is a fault with the neutral safety switch needing replaced or the shifter cable if not shifting fully into park.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete