Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2009 g6 after the car gets warm and runs while it

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2009 g6 after the car gets warm and runs for a while it will stall at a stop sign. The idle goes real slow and you have to keep your foot on the gas or else it will stall.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

when it stalls out, does it restart easily?

When the idle drops low, does it go up and down, or just drop down to low idle?

Is the check engine light on?

Just based upon the initial information, I suspect either the throttle body throat plate is sticking or the electronic throttle body TP sensor is faulty, but would like to have the additional information to firm up the diagnosis

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does restart easily, the idle will go from 1 to 2, the check engine light is not on. My battery died recently and I had to get a new one I do not know if that had anything to do with it. It seemed to start at the same time. Could it need a reset restart on the computer?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, I need the engine size - 2.4, 3.5, 3.6, or 3.9L engine. If not sure, just post the 8th digit of the vin number. I want to see if there is a idle relearn procedure for it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at work heading home in a minute but I think it is a 2.4
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, here is the idle learn procedure without a scan tool

Disconnect battery for 10 minutes, then reconnect.

Start and idle the engine in Park for 3 minutes.

The ECM will start to learn the new idle cells and Desired RPM should start to decrease.

Ignition OFF for 60 seconds.

After the 3 minute run time the engine should be idling normal. ◊If the engine idle speed has not been learned the vehicle will need to be driven at speeds above 70 km/h (44 mph) with several decelerations and extended idles. After the drive cycle, the engine should be idling normally. ◊If the engine idle speed has not been learned, turn OFF the ignition for 60 seconds and repeat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you think it is all about the battery going dead?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Very possible as the computer can lose the idle parameters and since this happened at the same, then we at least need to start with the idle learn procedure and go from there. If it is still an issue, then we will go from that point in checking other things, but we need to do this first

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

It is around midnight where I am at and getting ready to go to bed. Do the learn procedure and then test drive. If still doing the same thing, let me know and we will go from that point.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?