Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

1986 fiero gt, starts but bad bogging down, back fires.

Customer Question

1986 fiero gt, starts but bad bogging down, back fires. Opened dist cap and found 2 small metal pieces magnetized under the rotor
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Does it have the 2.8L engine? External coil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the 2.8l and external Coil. The 2 pieces found inside the dist cap: must be from the distributor it self.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At shop and will find out tmw. The mechanic took off the cap and said the distributor was bad. Without starting it even after I asked if he needed to hear it run................
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Yes. that is a blown up magnetic pole piece in the distributor and the distributor would have to be replaced. I had that happen on my Buick with the 2.8 engine as well as a few others over the years. Seems to just happen from age on them.

.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you have a subscription or are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I can get the instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as is allowed.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks