Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2003 pontiac vibe and the dome fuse blows

Customer Question

I have a 2003 pontiac vibe and the dome fuse blows immediately when I replace it. I used a voltmeter to determine that the fuse outlet is receiving 12.6 volts when the vehicle isn't running and 14.2 volts when it is running.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, I need the last 8 of the vin to pull the schematics for this circuit, but I believe it is going to come down to the socket drawing too much power and will need to be replaced

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last 8 digits are 3Z428616. The fuse that keeps blowing controls interior lights, the wireless remote, audio, and gauges. I have begun a process of elimination at the radio, and since removing the entire unit, the fuse hasn't blown. I think there may be a short that is drawing to much current. I did see an exposed connection, and plan to solder and cover it before replacing the radio.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, that will definitely cause a short. solder it and put heat shrink on it and plug radio back in. If fuse blows at that point, there is short in the radio. You can remove the cover for the radio and look for anything obvious, but many times it is an internal circuit short

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks