Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Tristan- I own a 2007 Pontiac G-6 Hard Top Convertible and I

Customer Question

Hi Tristan-
I own a 2007 Pontiac G-6 Hard Top Convertible and I have a two problems I am hoping to get answers to.
1. Can you tell me how to resolve a Top Not Secure message? I can open & close the top, but I don't have access to the trunk, it won't open.
2. In addition, I can smell engine oil in the passenger compartment of the car. One person thinks it is because I am missing a engine oil cooler, another thinks it's a valve cover gasket issue. Are you able to tell which issue is more likely to cause this smell?
Thank you!
Brian
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

The control module receives a signal from the top latch position switch/sensor. If it fails, this will give the warning of the saying the top is not secure and will need to be replaced(see attached)

As to the oil smell, you have an oil leak that is dripping onto the exhaust pipe or exhaust manifold. This odor will get drawn in thru the fresh air duct. Most commonly this is a valve cover gasket leaking.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks