Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

My daughter has a 2010 G5. Several days ago she got stuck

Customer Question

My daughter has a 2010 G5. Several days ago she got stuck when the car failed to accelerate. Had it towed and they said the transmission pan was crushed?.... She didn't recall haveing any trauma to the car so how would this happen?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

There is really no way to crush the pan without bottoming out on something.

The pan is fairly low and close to the front of the vehicle and it could be dragged on a parking barrier pretty easily.

The dealer said it needs a new transmission? Why not just replace the pan and any of the solenoids that might have been damaged when it was crushed? I wouldn't think it would damage the transmission enough to warrant a replacement.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

A new pan is about $35 dollars, and from looking at the repair diagrams I can't see where it would have damaged much more than the transmission filter and maybe the fluid line inside the pan. There wasn't a major fluid hemorrhage right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was my thought, I'm going to get the breakdown from the dealership. But would the crushed pan produce the symptoms described?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No leakage at all
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

If it smashed and cracked the transmission filter (which is plastic) it would start to suck air into the transmission pump rather than fluid and then the transmission wouldn't move.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your help.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I hope you get it going again. Let me know if you need any additional information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just talked to the dealership and they said when they removed the pan all the fluid was sitting in the pan. So it needs to be replaced at a 4300 cost. Yikes
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

? I don't get what they mean by that. All of the fluid is supposed to be sitting in the pan. I would have them take pictures of the damage and hold off on repairs. I would be happy to look at the pictures.

You can tell them you want to submit them to insurance or something.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I contacted the insurance company and they are sending an adjuster. Thanks
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Let me know if you would like me to look at pictures of the damage or if you need any additional insights.

Please don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.