sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2005 Grand AM, 3400SFI eng. Started this morning with a

Customer Question

2005 Grand AM, 3400SFI eng. Started this morning with a rough idel. Shut the eng off then tried to start again. This time the eng would not turn over. After about ten attemps the eng would not make a sound. No clicking from the starter but i do have a clicking in the throtal body when the key is in the on position.
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car will now turn over but i get a strong smell of gas and before i was getting a rotten egg smell
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you smell fuel now when trying to start it and it had a sulfur smell while running then the engine is either running very rich or you have weak or no spark. There are a handful of things that will cause the engine to run rich and it's possible it ran rich enough to flood the engine. It's also possible that you have a fuel contamination issue.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see if any fault codes are setting. Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no warring lights on the dash. This morning I tried to crank again and if I hold the pedle to the floor it gives signs of wanting to start but will not catch. There is no doubt that is flooded at this point. Im just not sure how to get the extra gas out of the cylinders. I dont have a code tool so I have no idea if its showinig rich. I plan on replacing the spark plugs today and see if that will at least get it running so that I can take it some place to have it checked

Let me know how it goes!