Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech
7276279

I have a different problem with the same engine. I have

Customer Question

Hi. I have a different problem with the same engine. I have major surges at 3000 rpm. I think it may be the coil pack and coil distributor. What do you think?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In most cases if you have a failing distributor and or coil the engine will loose spark . Surging can also be caused by a loss of fuel pressure. I would start first before replacing any more part with installing a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring to at least rule it out. Normal pressure needs to be right at 43 to 56 PSI and anything lower then 43 would indicate a failing fuel pump. Check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron
I am presently waiting to purchase a fuel pressure gauge. Will have it this week and the test will be done by the weekend. I agree that purchase of coils and distributor may be unnecessary and costly if only a fuel is required.
I will respond when problem is resolved and what was done.
Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem, I'm here all week, post back when you ready and we can work from there.