Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 with a heater that quit working. It

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 with a heater that quit working. It blew out air however the air was cold. The local mechanic looked at it and has changed the knobs, checked fluids, changed a hose (or something like that). The temperature knob is set to heat, which as I understand, would ordinarily cause a flapper to open that is located on the passenger side, up under the dash. When I change the temperature to cold, that flapper (I'm not real good at remembering parts names), will close. When I turn it back to warm, it will not open back up unless done manually. Is there a fix for this? Also, warm air will not blow the defroster. Only cold.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I need a little more info to assist better.

Can you hear a door or flap moving when switching from cold to hot at all in the dash area?

Are you ever able to get hot air at all (at idle or with engine revved up or heater/defrost switched to any position)?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't hear anything when switching from cold to hot. I am able to get hot air after the mechanic "fixes it". He's looked at it twice (once about two weeks ago, which the heater worked and he thought it was fixed, until I turned the knob from warm to cold) then today. The heat works today but he advised me not to turn it from warm to cold as it will not heat without going under the dash. He's not charging me anything for the repairs he has made. Hot air comes straight from the dash but not the defrost on top of the dash at the windshield. About a year ago, a flat plastic piece maybe 3" x 4" fell out onto the floor on the driver side.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Was the temperature actuator ever replaced at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm waiting for the mechanic to call me back to confirm. I don't believe so.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,if the actuator was already replaced and the knob/control assembly was also replaced and the mechanic can get heat to work manually when this occurs and since you did find a broken plastic piece under the dash I suspect the temp door itself or part of the heater box the door attaches to has broken.This will keep the actuator from turning from cold to hot like this.In this case the heater box will either need removed and inspected and repaired or removed and replaced to correct this fault.

I have seen part of the heater box break before in the past with it needing replaced in most cases if it cannot be repaired and with all that has been done here already I suspect yours needs repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The actuator was not replaced.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,if the actuator was not replaced this is the most common cause for this fault here.I have had to replace the temp actuator several times for this issue.In fact if the mechanic can remove it he/she can move the temp door by hand and see if it manually switches from cold to hot and back and forth and if it does the actuator needs replaced.

I can see if I can find the procedure for replacement on this if you want just let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I believe it was changed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. I'm communicating with the mechanic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A heater blend door actuator was changed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,if it was changed then this leads to the heater box itself with either damage to the heater box or the heater box flap that moves from hot to cold.The heater box will need inspected to see if it can be repaired or replaced.

The blend door actuator is the temp actuator so it has already been replaced.This leads to the heater box itself at fault.

Thanks Pete