GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 1996 Pontiac Sunfire; was given car by charity

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1996 Pontiac Sunfire; was given car by charity about a month ago. Car was in good shape with 142,000 miles. The only problem was leaking fuel injectors.
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My problem now is that the engine has the new injectors, it is shaking badly (getting too much gas). It was not shaking before the injectors an O rings were replaced. We've switched around the injectors, tried with one new OEM injector, shaking less, but still shaking pretty bad, hard to start, feels like the gas is drowning it out. Again, also replaced spark plus, spark plug wires, and ignition coil. Car is for my teenage daughter and infant baby; not running well enough for her to drive, may be dangerous.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mechanic friend also checked the pistons, but they are working fine. We have now received three more OEM injectors; will try replacing those. But again, engine was NOT SHAKING prior to the replacement of the injectors (4) first time around. Have put more than $1,000 into tires, brakes, serpentine belt, polishing headlights, oil change, and other repairs. So this "Free" car has become a nightmare. The car only has 142,000 miles on it, approximately and is very clean inside -- not beat up at all. Also needs a paint job and has no AC.
Expert:  john aka eaut replied 1 year ago.

is the engine light on?