Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

Have a 2007 pontiac torrent, lost steering in it, replaced

Customer Question

Have a 2007 pontiac torrent, lost steering in it, replaced 80 amp fuse, still no steering, what else could I check
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

did this just stop working out of the blue one day ? was the vehicle jump started or was anything done to where now you have this problem ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, drove it yesterday morning, went to get in it couple hours later and no steering, is there another fuse
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

no i am sorry that is the only fuse for this electric power steering

does that 80 amp fuse show 12 volts at it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That I'm not sure about.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

try to turn the key OFF and disconnect both battery cables for 5 minutes and then touch the 2 battery cables together for 2 minutes then reconnect the battery cables to the battery and start it up and see if the power steering works

if it does there is just a chance of a programming glitch that the power steering module just did not come alive or wake up when the key was turned on which usually updating the programming in the power steering module usually corrects

if it still does not work and there is power at that fuse then a shop is going to have to check for power and ground at the module and also see if they can communicate with the module with a scan tool which usually which ever direction that goes these issues end up being a bad module or motor causing this kind of problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea that didn't work, thank you anyway.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok at this point i am sorry to say it will need to go into the shop to see if they can communicate with the power module or not and if they can pull any codes that may be set

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

don't forget to rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here