Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

The ecm on my Pontiac torrent touched the positive battery

Customer Question

Hi. The ecm on my Pontiac torrent touched the positive battery terminal. Now, the car will not start. Everything functions normally (radio, dash lights, etc) until you turn the key. Then, it click once and the dash goes dark. As I cycle through the dash display, I notice my range and fuel economy read "--". All other settings read properly. Any suggestions?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I had a customer with a Suzuki xl7, which is the exact same car as the Pontiac torrent with the exact same problem last month. While trying to jump start the car the PCM fell onto the battery. The customer ended up having to change multiple fuses in the fuse box and replace the PCM. The PCM had to be reprogrammed at the dealership.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't seem to find any fuses that were blown. Also, once my PCM arrives, does it have to be reprogrammed at the dealership? Can it be done with a tuning chip through the OBD port?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It has to be done by the dealership. The last customer tried to order one from a company that sends them pre-programmed and it didn't work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any idea how much that normally costs?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The programming is usually only 1 hour labor, so about $110. As far as the new PCM, I haven't shopped them around.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've ordered the PCM already so I guess I'll make an appointment with the dealer once it arrives. I'll let you know how that works out. Thanks!
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need any additional info. I also had to walk the last customer through the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) reset once the PCM was programmed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK...will do. Thanks!
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info. Don't forget to rate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The part arrives tomorrow. Will let you know!
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Ok, great.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Please don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.