Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

I have a 2008 g6. Battery not staying charged replaced

Customer Question

I have a 2008 g6. Battery not staying charged replaced alternator & battery but battery still dies
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've replaced the pigtail on alternator and its still not keeping battery charged
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I might need to replace the big cable on back of alternator if I can figure out where it goes too
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

can you tell me if the big power cable shows 12 volts at it where it bolts to the alternator ?

what size engine is in this car ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2008 g6 with 3.5 engine. I haven't checked volts on cable on alternator I just know I've switch alternator twice killed 3 new batteries
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the odds are that alternator is not charging and we would first need to see if that big power wire shows 12 volts at the stud where it is bolted to the alternator

and depending on if it does or does not have 12 volts will lead us one way or the other

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check it when I get off. I'm currently at work
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

sure thing

if that does NOT show 12 volts that wire runs down to the starter and that wire is a fusible link type wire where it connects to the starter and usually burnt out causing this issue

which replacing the link at the starter would correct power back to the alternator so it can charge

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?